Code Example: ASP.NET Buttons (Gif) with Transparent background using GDI+

Eric Johnson

May 4, 2003, 6:12:28 AM5/4/03
It took me quite a while to figure this out so I figured I would post
my code out for all my fellow NG users to view. I would like to
figure out a way to make the buttons look better, but for now I'm kind
of tired of working on it.

If anyone is interested I also have a few other Web Form classes such
as TextToImage, RoundedCorner, and BackgroundGradient. All of my
classes use transparent backgrounds are are configured through
querystring parms. Eventually, I plan on publishing a few GDI+
articles, but for now hopefully this code will help someone out.

using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Drawing.Text;
using System.Drawing.Drawing2D;
using System.Drawing.Imaging;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.IO;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Collections;

namespace DynamicWebDesign
{
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for TextButton.
/// </summary>
public class TextButton : System.Web.UI.Page
{
{
//Get QueryString parms
string sText = Request.QueryString["T"]; //Text
string sTextColor = Request.QueryString["C"]; //Text Color
string sButtonColor = Request.QueryString["BC"]; //Button Color
string sFontFace = Request.QueryString["FF"]; //Font Face
string sFontSize = Request.QueryString["FS"]; //Font Size
string sFontStyle = Request.QueryString["FST"]; //Font Style

//If QueryString parms are null set default values
if(sText == null) sText = "Schedule";
if(sTextColor == null) sTextColor = "Cyan";
if(sButtonColor == null) sButtonColor = "Navy";
if(sFontFace == null) sFontFace = "Verdana";
if(sFontSize == null) sFontSize = "12";
if(sFontStyle == null) sFontStyle = "R";

//Create Drawing Objects
Color TextColor, ButtonColor, CenterColor;
try
{
TextColor = ColorTranslator.FromHtml(sTextColor);
}
catch(Exception)
{
TextColor = ColorTranslator.FromHtml("#" + sTextColor);
}
try
{
ButtonColor = ColorTranslator.FromHtml(sButtonColor);
}
catch(Exception)
{
ButtonColor = ColorTranslator.FromHtml("#" + sButtonColor);
}

FontStyle TextStyle;
switch(sFontStyle.ToUpper())
{
case "B":
TextStyle = FontStyle.Bold;
break;
case "I":
TextStyle = FontStyle.Italic;
break;
case "S":
TextStyle = FontStyle.Strikeout;
break;
case "U":
TextStyle = FontStyle.Underline;
break;
default:
TextStyle = FontStyle.Regular;
break;
}

Font TextFont = new Font(sFontFace, Int32.Parse(sFontSize),
TextStyle);
Bitmap b = new Bitmap(1,1);
Graphics g = Graphics.FromImage(b);
StringFormat Format = new StringFormat();

int Width, Height, Radius;
Width = Convert.ToInt32(g.MeasureString(sText, TextFont).Width);
Height = Convert.ToInt32(g.MeasureString(sText, TextFont).Height);
Radius = Height / 2 + Height / 8;
b = new Bitmap(Width + Radius * 2, Height);

Color colorFill = Color.FromArgb(255, 255, 255, 255);
SolidBrush ButtonBrush = new SolidBrush(ButtonColor);
// Render the bitmap
g = Graphics.FromImage(b);
g.Clear(colorFill);

// Draw the top left end cap
g.FillPie(ButtonBrush, 0, 0, Radius*2, Height, 180, 90);
// Draw the top middle
g.FillRectangle(ButtonBrush, Radius, 1, Width, Height/2);
// Draw the top right end cap
g.FillPie(ButtonBrush, Width, 0, Radius*2, Height, 270, 90);

// Draw the bottom left end cap
g.FillPie(ButtonBrush, 0, 0, Radius*2, Height, 90, 90);
// Draw the bottom middle
g.FillRectangle(ButtonBrush, Radius, Height/2+1, Width, Height/2);
// Draw the bottom right end cap
g.FillPie(ButtonBrush, Width, 0, Radius*2, Height, 360, 90);

// Draw Text
SolidBrush TextBrush = new SolidBrush(TextColor);
g.DrawString(sText, TextFont, TextBrush, new Point(Radius,0),
Format);
g.Flush();

TextToImage oGIFConvert = new TextToImage();
Image NewImg = oGIFConvert.GetGIFWithNewColorTable(b, colorFill);

Response.ContentType = "image/gif";
NewImg.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Gif);

g.Dispose();
b.Dispose();
NewImg.Dispose();

}

private ColorPalette GetColorPalette(uint nColors)
{
// Assume monochrome image.
PixelFormat bitscolordepth = PixelFormat.Format1bppIndexed;
ColorPalette palette; // The Palette we are stealing
Bitmap bitmap; // The source of the stolen palette

// Determine number of colors.
if (nColors > 2)
bitscolordepth = PixelFormat.Format4bppIndexed;
if (nColors > 16)
bitscolordepth = PixelFormat.Format8bppIndexed;

// Make a new Bitmap object to get its Palette.
bitmap = new Bitmap( 1, 1, bitscolordepth );
palette = bitmap.Palette; // Grab the palette
bitmap.Dispose(); // cleanup the source Bitmap
return palette; // Send the palette back
}

public Image GetGIFWithNewColorTable(Image image, Color
colTransparent)
{
uint nColors = 256;
int Width = image.Width;
int Height = image.Height;

Bitmap bitmap = new Bitmap(Width, Height,
PixelFormat.Format8bppIndexed);
ColorPalette pal = GetColorPalette(nColors);
SortedList oleColours = new SortedList();
int[] safe = {0, 51, 102, 153, 204, 255};
int cR, cG, cB, cnt = 0;

for (cR = 0; cR < safe.Length; cR++)
{
for (cG = 0; cG < safe.Length; cG++)
{
for (cB = 0; cB < safe.Length; cB++)
{
pal.Entries[cnt] = Color.FromArgb(255, safe[cR], safe[cG],
safe[cB]);
oleColours[ColorTranslator.ToOle(pal.Entries[cnt])] = cnt;
cnt++;
}
}
}
pal.Entries[nColors - 1] = Color.FromArgb(0, 255, 255, 255);
bitmap.Palette = pal;
Bitmap BmpCopy = new Bitmap(Width, Height,
PixelFormat.Format32bppArgb);
Graphics g = Graphics.FromImage(BmpCopy);
g.PageUnit = GraphicsUnit.Pixel;
g.DrawImage(image, 0, 0, Width, Height);
g.Dispose();
BitmapData bitmapData;
Rectangle rect = new Rectangle(0, 0, Width, Height);
bitmapData = bitmap.LockBits(rect, ImageLockMode.WriteOnly,
PixelFormat.Format8bppIndexed);
IntPtr pixels = bitmapData.Scan0;

unsafe
{
byte * pBits;
if (bitmapData.Stride > 0)
pBits = (byte *)pixels.ToPointer();
else
pBits = (byte *)pixels.ToPointer() +
bitmapData.Stride*(Height-1);
uint stride = (uint)Math.Abs(bitmapData.Stride);

for ( uint row = 0; row < Height; ++row )
{
for ( uint col = 0; col < Width; ++col )
{
int colorIndex;
int entry = 0;

Color pixel; // The source pixel.
byte * p8bppPixel = pBits + row*stride + col;
pixel = BmpCopy.GetPixel((int)col, (int)row);
if (pixel.Equals(colTransparent))
{
colorIndex = (int)(nColors - 1);
}
else if (oleColours.ContainsKey(ColorTranslator.ToOle(pixel)))
{
colorIndex = (int)oleColours[ColorTranslator.ToOle(pixel)];
}
else
{
int thisR, thisG, thisB;

while(safe[entry] < pixel.R)
{
entry += 1;
}
thisR = safe[entry];
entry = 0;

while(safe[entry] < pixel.G)
{
entry += 1;
}
thisG = safe[entry];
entry = 0;

while(safe[entry] < pixel.B)
{
entry += 1;
}
thisB = safe[entry];
entry = 0;

colorIndex = (int)oleColours[ColorTranslator.ToOle(Color.FromArgb(thisR,
thisG, thisB))];
}
*p8bppPixel = (byte)(colorIndex);
}